> Did you run 'make clean' before re-building ? (It's important that you run
> 'make clean' between successive attempts to build the module ... though you
> probably know that already.)

I'd forgotten, actually, so thanks for that. :-) However, it appears that
cpan was giving me a fresh working directory each time I started it to call
'look Inline::Lua', so unclean builds haven't been the problem. There are no
warnings from Makefile.PL or gcc during make--just what's in the output I
pasted. I've tried building against the latest version of Lua as well as
5.0.2, with, again, identical results each time.

If the problem is in fact some kind of Mac-specific quirk, and we're totally
stumped here, I suppose I might try asking around on some Mac mailing lists.

Thanks again,
Peter