Tim,

It's been a while since I've use Inline::Java with mod_perl, but I
remember that I was never able to get the JVM component started
properly from an Apache child. That was the reason I add some
initscript-style command-line options to control the JVM server
seperately.

See
http://search.cpan.org/~patl/Inline-Java-0.53/Java.pod#BUGS_AND_DEFICIENCIES,
third bullet, for more details.