On 05/08/2012 01:26 PM, David Mertens wrote:
Now now, let's not be too hasty. Using an undocumented function is
generally not advised, and documenting how to use an undocumented
function is generally frowned upon. As such I see two possibilities here:

 1. Use pp_scmp and document it with lots of caveats indicating that the
    function is not part of Perl's public API.
 2. Ask p5p if pp_scmp (and any other handy UTF8 string functions) can
    be added to the public API, as well as how you might go about doing
    that. The difference between public and private API for Perl, as far
    as I know, is just the decision to document the thing. So this
    probably means simply adding the docs for the function. I could help
    out with this.

Sorry, part of 2. is wrong. It's not just documentation. On win32, for example, you can't access symbols that weren't explicitly exported. This being said, making functions public isn't *technically* difficult, just brings up considerations about whether the current interface is something we want to commit to for eternity.

--Steffen