----- Original Message ----- From: "sam"

David Moore <dmoore@...> writes:

I've been having trouble building on cygwin, and finally just decided to
uninstall and reinstall perl.  Using the cygwin default perl 5.10 & gcc
454, Inline::C gets into an infinite test loop on taint.  Am I the only
person using Inline with cygwin?

t/00init.t .............. ok
t/01syntax.t ............ ok
t/02config.t ............ ok
       3 [main] perl 9284 fork: child 4640 - died waiting for dll
5087654 [main] perl 8540 C:\cygwin\bin\perl.exe: *** fatal error -
unable to remap

David, I don't know whether you managed to solve the issue above. I have
exactly the same problem and I couldn't solve it. I've tried to rebaseall and
peflagsall as suggested in several forums but I had no luck.

This is an error that's specific to Cygwin. I don't know of anything (short of removing the taint.t file from the source distro) that Inline can do to alleviate the problem. Now, that doesn't mean that there *isn't* anything that Inline could do ... it just literally means that "I don't *know* of anything" it could do.

Does the above error kill the entire build process ? ... or does it merely cause a test failure ? If it just causes a test failure, you could install by using force (with CPAN).

But if it kills the entire build process, then I would:

1) Download and extract the Inline source;
2) Remove t/taint.t from the extracted source;
3)'cd' to the top level Inline source folder and build Inline manually (ie run 'perl Makefile.PL' and 'make test'); 4)Then run 'make install' if I was happy with the output of the previous commands.

Obviously, Inline's taint capabilities have not been tested by the above build method - and they probably don't work. As long as you don't want to utilise those capabilities, all should be fine. It has been suggested to me that you'd need rocks in your head to use Inline's taint capabilities, anyway. I don't know whether that's a fair appraisal or not - I do know that Inline cautions you when you turn tainting on, and I do know that *I* wouldn't make use of those capabilities.

Cheers,
Rob