-----Original Message----- From: Ed J via RT

If no-one else wants to, I'll do both the test-possible-skipping and a doc update?

Ok - thanks for the offer.
See my response (posted just a few minutes ago) to Reini's post in this thread.

I think, go with your original 4-point plan:

1. Check for existence of $ENV{PATH}
2. If not, set to '/bin:/usr/bin'
3. Test in $ENV{PATH} for 'make' and $Config{cc}
4. If found, continue; if not, skip (since there's nothing else reasonable
to do, and I prefer not to make people force install)

But steps 1 and 2 need to be taken inside Inline.pm (not inside t/08taint.t).
And replace 'skip' with 'todo' in step 4.

I think there should be no need for any changes to the documentation as a result of that ... but feel free to make any documentary changes that you see fit.

If you can do that, I think it would be most helpful. (I'm a bit pressed for time .... and also don't have machine that exhibits the problem, for testing.)

It would probably be a candidate for a fast new release.

Yep - early next week I could make a devel release, followed by a new stable release a week later, all being well.
(I can always find time to make another release.)

Thanks for pursuing and persisting ;-)

Cheers,
Rob