I agree entirely that defining host identification as a problem indicates that the authors believe a solution is called for. I also agree that the privacy impact of solution candidates must be discussed, including making a concerted effort to mitigate the possibility of those solution candidates being used for pervasive monitoring purposes. My point is simply that this draft is not intended to propose solutions or discuss solution candidates.

RFC6967, which as you note is repeatedly cited, discusses solution candidates and lays out a framework for privacy discussion related to solution proposals. Future RFCs that actually propose solutions are already expected to follow the guidance from RFC6967, and the references to that RFC in this draft are meant to point to RFC6967 as the authoritative guidance.

Is there some reason why you do not consider it adequate for this "use cases" draft to reference the existing and already published "potential solutions analysis" rfc? What specific content related to privacy and/or pervasive monitoring belongs in this draft that is not already present in RFC6967?

Thanks,
--Brandon