On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Joel M. Halpern <j...@joelhalpern.com> wrote:
> It appears to me that there are contexts in which it is likely that ILA is
> useful.
>
> Using the example of the progression of LISP, I have concern with the
> current approach of NOT spelling out how and where it would be used. LISP
> started out as experimental in significant part because it was not clear
> where it would be useful.  We re now progressing it to PS with a clear
> context.  And that context is NOT Internet-wide deployment for Internet
> scaling.  Because that deployment problem is REALLY challenging.
>
> As such, if ILA wants to either be developed for the data center context or
> be developed as an interesting experiment across a range of potential uses,
> I can not object.
>
> I do have problems moving it forward towards standards track for some
> unspecified but general use in its current form.  The dependence of the data
> plane protocol on the information distribution is so strong that I do not
> see how the general case can be treated.

Hi Joel,

Intended status is listed as informational if that helps.

I tend to think that the relationship between an ILA data plane and
control plane is analogous to the relationship between the IP protocol
and routing protocols. Yes, there is a strong dependency on having a
control plane, but mandating a specific control plane as part of the
core protocol reduces flexibility and extensibility.

Tom