On Thu, Mar 03, 2022 at 09:28:23AM -0800, Dino Farinacci wrote:
> > of its address structure helps the underlay to locate the entity (xTR) that
> > the
> > address is assigned to (xTR). So the name 'locator' is 'just' a good
> > name for what LISP calls/uses the address for, not for how the under
> > itself would maybe call the address or use the address for.
>
> Well the locator you put in an outer header destination address is
> called/used/assign to whatever the rules of the underlay are. If the underlay
> is ethernet, then its a 6-byte address where the high-order 3 bytes is an
> organizational ID, just to cite an example.

Indeed.

I have not seen an answer to the question i posed earlier in the thread:
 whether and if so what general (not technology specific) definition of locator
and identifier the IETF may have. But i have seen a lot of confusion about
it and people shying away from using these terms.

If (as i think) we do not have a commonly applicable definition of
locator/identifier
(beyond its use in indivdual technologies like LISP), then i think this is
because
folks who tried to apply these terms (incorrectly) may have failed to
see the difference between what an address is and what someone (like an
application) calls it (/uses it for). In that respect the reference to
the White Knight in IEN19 is very helpful to remember.

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---