From: Int-area <int-area-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Joel Halpern
Sent: mercredi 7 septembre 2022 23:54
To: Robert Moskowitz <rgm-i...@htt-consult.com>
Cc: Internet Area <int-area@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Resubmit - requesting WG Adoption
draft-moskowitz-intarea-schc-ip-protocol-number

8200 implies that the first bye of the extension header is the next header
field.  explicitly and visibly.  So that one can walk the next header chain.

I would like us to articulate a clear meaning of when something is an extension
header.   I have tried to lay one such out. (Recognizing that there are a few
historical exceptions).  If we want instead to redefine IP-in-IP and
UDP-carrying headers-with-next-header as extension headers I wouldn't like it,
but I could live with it.  Or we can say it si completely random I suppose.
Although I have trouble seeing how that is a good answer.

Yours,

Joel

PS: In case anyone is unclear, I am not criticizing Robert M. (or Bob H.).  He
is trying to do the right thing.  And yes, we should give him a code point for
this use.