Hi Luigi,

see inline.

On 05.10.22 at 10:14 Luigi IANNONE wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Int-area<int-area-boun...@ietf.org>  On Behalf Of Bless, Roland (TM)
Sent: Tuesday, 4 October 2022 18:08
To: Luigi Iannone<g...@gigix.net>; int-area<int-area@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Rebooting Addressing Discussion

Hi Luigi,

a related question would also be:
how much addressing semantics/context is required for performing (a) the
forwarding and/or (b) the routing decision inside a node?
Excellent questions ;-)

For a) I think it depends where you are. Keeping the drone example, in the
connecting infrastructure you might not care whether the address in the packet
identifies a link or the drone itself, that is the power of the IP model.
Certainly some semantics/context is necessary in some places if you do
operations that are beyond the IP model (like identifying a link...). I would
translate the question to: How to define a general framework that allows us to
define additional semantics/context when and where necessary?

Just to clarify: to me routing is about finding paths to a destination (or destinations) and selecting those that
should be currently used for forwarding (usually written down into a FIB).
Forwarding is then about deciding which of the eligible forwarding entries should be used when a packet arrives do a certain destination, or maybe you have only one matching entry, but it may contain a set of outgoing interfaces for different next hops. Let's assume you have an anycast address and you have multiple destinations that are all equally eligible. Now your forwarding decision may simply apply some simple load balancing or use the load of the outgoing links as selector or even take into account the current load of the servers which would by some dynamic state that must be reported to the router (leaving the question aside for now whether this is useful/scalable/reasonable). So the forwarding decision may depend on information in the packet as well as on local state (and thus indirectly some remote state like the server load). In case a packet contains a source route there is nearly no degree of freedom left for the router's forwarding decision. In this context I also find Dave Clark's distinction helpful (from his book 'Designing an Internet'):

        Destination-based
        Path-based
Forwarding directive in packet
        Encapsulation
        Source route
Forwarding state in router
        Classic Internet
        Label Switching

For b) routing to me is about providing the necessary information to "forward" a packet.
Now, we have the routing infrastructure which works very well if you are "semantic
agnostic", meaning that no special semantics/context is associated to an address/prefix.  When
 there is a special semantic/context that needs to be considered in order to do forwarding, IMO you
already have a few options to distribute that information: LISP Mapping system, PCE, BGP-EVPN,  to
cite a few.
Ok, see my definition above: the routing decision may happen at a different time scale, whereas forwarding decisions usually have to be performed per packet. So, yes, I agree that routing protocols may carry additional context information transparently that could be used by the routers as context for their forwarding decisions. However, it is a question how dynamic that information can be. For example, it may be feasible to report weights to indicate general server capacity/performance in the above example as these are rather static attributes, but it may not be feasible/useful to report the current server load this way.
In essence, to me have know how to distribute semantics/context, the real issue
is to define The general framework that allows to easily associate
semantics/context to addresses/prefixes so to clearly define the what, the
when, and the where.

Coming back to the original question, I think that such framework can be used
to define What and address identifies, Where this specific identification
matters, and When to apply it.

This sounds interesting. Let's see whether one can come up with a framework that you have in mind.

Regards,

 Roland