Hi Jen,

Thanks for paying attention. I appreciate that. First thing that comes to mind is that I don't know if the assumptions implied by your post hold true. It kind of reminds me of the early criticism of NAT. As we know, NAT was developed at about the same time as IPv6, some 25 year ago and is doing very well in spite of heavy push against it initially. IPREF, like NAT, is an address rewriting technology so I guess I should expect similar trajectory. But by the same token, since some of the assumptions from that era proved false, I could reasonably expect some assumptions now may prove false too. Address rewriting, for example. Wasn't it supposed to disappear? It did not. I think address rewriting is here to stay. Why do people, some of them, insist on NAT6?   We can't just ignore them. They're not stupid, they are telling us something, we must understand them.  Allow for a moment, that NAT6 lives, then your item (1) is a false assumption.  Sorry, I am just making a point. Is IPv4 going to disappear?  If it does, it does not seem like it will happen anytime soon. IPv4 is still a reality, it is in play.  Now, I am not advancing IPv4, far from it. I am advancing  innovation in networking.  IPREF works not only with IPv4 and IPv6. It works with just about any network protocol.  IPREF will allow development of new protocols without a fear that they will be instantly incompatible and thus not worthy even considerations. IPv6 was designed for the Internet. Maybe it should stick to its original mission. Maybe it should not try to pretend that it can solve every problem at every network. Some local, private networks, would benefit from the ability to customize for their purpose. Be it financial with extra security and audit, military with different type of security, be it space with fluid time domain, be it IoT with low power low bandwidth. I want to give them a chance.

Incidentally, it's rather obvious to me that IPREF will speed up adoption of IPv6 Internet. I think that alone is worth the effort.  Why?  Because if you allow IPREF,  and especially if IPREF addressing for public services gains some popularity, then there is no reason to keep providing IPv4 addresses (and thus the IPv4 Internet). Folks can even keep their local IPv4 networks until they decide what to do with them. Those admins of larger private networks resist because they don't want to mess with them but they would swallow a gateway that can get them off the hook. With IPREF, it will be possible to take down IPv4 Internet waaay before scorched earth push forces everyone to switch. I say don't bully them, entice them softly instead.  Oh, and that dual stack on every device, including my refrigerator? It can be put to rest even sooner. This is an incredible tax on the entire industry. Folks should just run whatever protocol they choose for the network. Dual stacks are for the gateways.

So while it is true I started with addressing some of the super annoying problems with peer networking, that last bullet item on slide 3 is the long term super benefit.  [...but notice, ‘public’ addresses are merely exposing hosts located on private networks]. It requires some imagination to see it. It took me time to realize it, so I expect this will need more processing.

Now (2) and (3) are known, sure, but aren't very popular, mostly because they're incomplete, require complicated setup, negotiations, or both. Few would consider configuring STUN servers. Think of corporations trying to reach their disjoint private networks, not happening. NAT64 you say? Non-starter. How about those gamers on the Internet? Do you see them doing any of this?  With IPREF they would just buy a small router that would make a magic happen for them. It matters.

In short, (2) and (3) nominally exist but the problem still does, too. So maybe assumptions about their effectiveness should be adjusted.

So yes, end2end, no negotiations, deal with address overlaps, deal with NAT, traverse protocol domains, DNS publishable, 100% local network admin, no external servers/brokers, no global registries.

As for the effort,  essentially we need to find the place for the reference. In reality, this probably means defining an extension header plus a tunnel because headers are notoriously dropped and because for IPv4 we probably don't want to define any more options (which would be dropped anyway). There is also some DNS related work, maybe defining an RR.  The format of the reference itself, even if the contents are considered opaque, probably needs some discussion.