From: Int-area <int-area-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Tom Herbert
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2023 3:39 PM
To: Templin (US), Fred L <Fred.L.Templin=40boeing....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: int-area@ietf.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [Int-area] A new link service model for the Internet
(IP Parcels and Advanced Jumbos)

[EXTERNAL SENDER: This email originated from outside of Stratus Technologies.
Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know
the content is safe.]

On Mon, Nov 13, 2023 at 11:58 AM Templin (US), Fred L
<Fred.L.Templin=40boeing....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:Fred.L.Templin=40boeing....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
 wrote:

> Here is something everyone should read and become familiar with taken from
> Section 5 of the latest
> version of "IP Parcels and Advanced Jumbos":
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-intarea-parcels/<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-templin-intarea-parcels>
>
> A new link service model is offered that will be essential for supporting
> air/land/sea/space mobile
> Internetworking. IP Parcels and Advanced Jumbos are the vehicles that support
> end-to-end as
> opposed to hop-by-hop link error detection in the new model.
>
> This is a truly transformational concept for the Internet - many may already
> know about it, but
> everyone should become aware of it.

Hi Fred,

Some comments in line.
<SNIP>
I don't believe disabling the Ethernet CRC is feasible. AFAIK IEEE
802.3 standards don't allow the Ethernet CRC to be optional. Even if
it were, I doubt any existing NIC hardware or router hardware would
have an API to disable CRC.

Tom