On Tue, Nov 21, 2023, 2:45 PM Templin (US), Fred L <Fred.L.Templin=
40boeing....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> Tom, I am going to circle back again to where this all started many draft
> versions ago. Based on
>
> my read of RFC6564 and how that was then taken up in RFC8200, it looks
> like the barrier would
>
> be very high to specify any new extension header that does not begin with
> the two 1-octet
>
> fields “Next Header” and “Hdr Ext Len”. The reason for that specification
> is to ensure backwards
>
> compatibility for widely-deployed hardware in the rare event that a new
> extension header would
>
> be defined. So, going back to what I said in earlier draft versions,
> wouldn’t it be better if we just
>
> put the Identification extension in a Hop-by-Hop option instead of
> defining a new Fragment
>
> Header type?

Fred,

The bar for creating any new EH is high. If the data needs to be read or
modified by routers then Hop-by-Hop Options is appropriate, if it's only
read at the end host or intermediate nodes then Destination Options should
be used.

Tom