Hi there all,

I discovered that I'd somehow misnamed a draft that Juliusz Chroboczek ,
Toke Høiland-Jørgensen, and myself had written — somehow I'd managed to
name it draft-chroboczek-int-v4-via-v6, instead
of draft-chroboczek-intarea-v4-via-v6.

Anyway, it is targeted at intarea, and so I renamed and submitted it, so
that it will now actually show up in the IntArea list of documents…

The document proposes "v4-via-v6" routing, a technique that uses IPv6
next-hop addresses for routing IPv4 packets, thus making it possible to
route IPv4 packets across a network where routers have not been assigned
IPv4 addresses.

This isn't yet another "let's rewrite part of the header and override some
bits", nor some new protocol / tunneling thing. It simply notes that
routers only need to determine the outgoing interface (and usually MAC
address) for a packet, and so it's perfectly acceptable for the next-hop
for e.g 192.0.2.0/24 to be e.g 2001:db8::2342. The router don't care…

While this may be initially surprising to many people, it's actually
nothing "special", nor really groundbreaking - it's just how IP routing
works. However, because it is surprising, it is not getting widely used —
and that means that many interfaces need IPv4 addresses where they
otherwise would not.

In fact, this functionality is already supported in (at least!):
Arista EOS (since EOS-4.30.1)
The Babel protocol
Linux (since kernel version 5.2)
Mikrotik RouterOS (since before 7.11beta2)
and the BGP protocol (see RFC8950 - "Advertising IPv4 Network Layer
Reachability Information (NLRI) with an IPv6 Next Hop").

So, if this already works, why are we writing a document?!

A few reasons, including:
1: This behavior / capability is surprising to many people -  this means
that people are "forced" to use IPv4 addresses where they otherwise would
not.

2: There should be an easy way to reference this type of
behaviour/deployment - the genesis of this document that Babel supports
this (RFC9229 - "IPv4 Routes with an IPv6 Next Hop in the Babel Routing
Protocol" <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc9229/>), but had to describe
the behavior because there was nothing to point at.

2: A large number of implementations don't currently support it (or, at
least, the tooling / CLI / UI doesn't allow configurations like the above).

3: There are some unsettled questions around the ICMP behavior — e.g: if a
router has to send an ICMP packet too big, and it doesn't have an IPv4
address, what should it do?

We'd really appreciate review and feedback — again, this isn't documenting
a major "change", but more noting this the design of command lines,
tooling, etc  should allow it.