On 22-Mar-24 09:04, Tom Herbert wrote:
On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 12:46 PM Templin (US), Fred L
<Fred.L.Templin=40boeing....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

Brian,

Why should the IETF spend effort on upgrading IPv4 capabilities at this point?

For air/land/sea/space mobile Internetworking, we expect to engage steady-state
IP
fragmentation over some paths, but IPv4 will still be in the picture for a long
time to
come and IPv4 fragmentation has known limitations (e.g., RFC4963). IPv4
fragmentation
using the IPv6 Fragment Header (adapted for IPv4) would address many of the
issues.

This is just to name one example. Another example is adapting IPv6 HBH options
carry IP parcels and Advanced Jumbos in IPv4 packets for operation over networks
where IPv4 will still be used for the long term.

IPv4 is going to be around for a long time in many networks, so making it work
more like IPv6 seems like a useful improvement.

Yes, we still have IPv4 users that need the capabilities. If everyone
were on IPv6 we wouldn't need this.

So this proposal hinders IPv6 adoption. I think it would lead to an
"interesting" IETF Last Call discussion.

To be a little more direct, one purpose of the draft is to nullify a
persistent argument against using extension headers: "They don't work
with IPv4".

I was told in Seattle in March 1994 that the Internet was opaque to
new IPv4 options - that's the main reason I stopped work on
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-carpenter-aeiou/, in fact.
I understand that you've bypassed that problem in the ipv4-eh
design, but surely the deployment problem here will be worse than
it is for IPv6 extension headers - IPv4 middleboxes and firewalls
are much more widely deployed than they were in 1994.

We've seen the same story play out in a number of proposals. It goes
like this: "We want to annotate packets with ancillary network layer
information like extension headers are designed for, but we still have
a large number of users still on IPv4 and so using extension headers
is a showstopper." Unfortunately, all the alternatives for getting
similar functionality in IPv4 have proven to be essentially hacks
(like having intermediate devices parse UDP payloads, or somehow use
VLAN as metadata and turn Ethernet into an E2E protocol). And of
course, IP options are "not an option"...

Right. But there you've implicitly accepted the limited domain
model, which many in the IETF consider heresy.

   Brian

Tom

Fred