On Thu, Mar 21, 2024, 8:28 PM to...@strayalpha.com <to...@strayalpha.com>
wrote:

> <Joe>
>

> You’ve just described a transport protocol that the intermediate nodes
>> know.
>>

> Joe,
>
> A transport protocol doesn't meet the requirements. They don't work with
> any transport protocol other than themselves,
>

> They do when you define them that way, i.e., “here’s a transport protocol
> header A, after which you can use any transport protocol, as indicated in
> field X”.
>
> and intermediate nodes cannot robustly parse transport headers
>

> They can’t parse these either. But, if upgraded to do so for headers “A”,
> as per above.
>
> This has to be L3 protocol.
>

> It’s not. It’s L4, or at least that’s what it is* to IP.

Joe,

Please give one concrete example of a transport protocol explicitly
designed to be processed and modified by intermediate nodes. If you say TCP
as in modifying port numbers for NAT, I'll point out it that the TCP was
never designed for this, it breaks TCP Auth option, and QUIC closed this
architectural aberration by encrypting the transport layer so that
intermediate nodes can't muck with it :-)

IMO, network nodes have no business participating in transport layer, doing
so has led to a lot of protocol ossification.

Tom