From: Josh Cohen <jos...@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2024 12:37 PM
To: Watson Ladd <watsonbl...@gmail.com>
Cc: David Schinazi <dschinazi.i...@gmail.com>; int-area@ietf.org
<int-area@ietf.org>; ietf-http...@w3.org <ietf-http...@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] New version of WPADNG

Lots of good info here. Bernard said: In RFC 5505, the IAB took on this
question, separating basic IP configuration (which has in practice proved
difficult to secure) from application-layer configuration (which can be
postponed until later

Lots of good info here.

Bernard said:

  *   In RFC 5505, the IAB took on this question, separating basic IP
configuration (which has in practice proved difficult to secure) from
application-layer configuration (which can be postponed until later in the boot
process when security facilities are available to secure it).

Through the lens of RFC5505, that leads towards DNSSD.  Is DNSSD considered
safer than DHCP?

Paul said:

  *   It's necessary for edge devices to securely learn the security policies
of a network, for example a proxy if any and the cert or will offer if so.
We're working around DoH policy signaling using the DNS server itself but it's
slow going.

I read the Mozilla support pages for DNS over HTTPS (DoH):

Are you involved with this Mozilla work?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/configuring-networks-disable-dns-over-https<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/configuring-networks-disable-dns-over-https__;!!Bt8RZUm9aw!7DnECYLfc3Kw-CB-cs9W6Q6AgTvTEDFIU_d1Dpiiwc6r8wiAIhvPFPRxgPxs8oDBtq0LDvI32Q$>

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/canary-domain-use-application-dnsnet<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/canary-domain-use-application-dnsnet__;!!Bt8RZUm9aw!7DnECYLfc3Kw-CB-cs9W6Q6AgTvTEDFIU_d1Dpiiwc6r8wiAIhvPFPRxgPxs8oDBtq0cyQm1KA$>

The solution to detect when not to use DoH is a canary domain:
use-application-dns.net<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://use-application-dns.net__;!!Bt8RZUm9aw!7DnECYLfc3Kw-CB-cs9W6Q6AgTvTEDFIU_d1Dpiiwc6r8wiAIhvPFPRxgPxs8oDBtq2RIFdfbw$>.
  Can you shed light on this choice vs DHCP or DNSSD?

Paul said:

  *   I'd like to be able to verifiably inform each connecting device about the
network owner's policy demands so that the device can decide whether to accept
those terms or remain offline.

Tommy Pauly said:

  *   I do think there is room for network-discovered proxies, and I’d like to
continue to explore how to do that safely in the realm of the PvD-based
discovery.  I think the cases are going to be more limited there — cases of the
network saying “I have this proxy I suggest using because it is well-optimized
for my network, if it’s on your trusted list of proxies, then please use it"…

>From what I've read of PVD a network's preference for DoH could be expressed
>in a PVD.

A network's PVD could be discovered by either DHCP or DNSSD

On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 9:29 AM Josh Cohen