On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 19:31, Nicolas Kalkhof <nkalk...@web.de> wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> no problem :). Your patches look good! No hangs or stalls so far with
> semaphores and rc6 switched on. However I had to disable intel_iommu since it
> freezes my box shortly after firing up X :(.

Meh, so ppgtt doesn't seem to help rc6 hangs caused by dmar. Has
anything changed wrt how the machine hangs, i.e. can you gather more
information via ssh/logs/netconsole/error_state?

> One other thing still remains: Since the merges for kernel 3.2 came in late
> october, my cpu/gpu seems to run hotter (approx 10 °C) when idling and after
> some minutes the cpu load goes up on all cores but the cpu frequency stays
> low (800 MHz) as well as the gpu (650MHz) and the system is responding well.
> Yet still additional 5-8 watts are drained from the power supply. Something
> has to throttle up :(. Oprofile shows that the kernel somewhere hogs the cpu
> (see dump below). This happens with every kernel from 3.1 up to latest
> linux-next. I wasn't able to track the bug down yet so I guess I'll better
> file a bug report on lkml to get someone to verify this.

Iirc not the first time I've heard of this. Reporting a bug to lkml
sounds like the right thing to do (kernel bugzilla is still down).

Thanks for testing, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
daniel.vet...@ffwll.ch - +41 (0) 79 365 57 48 - http://blog.ffwll.ch