On Sun, Nov 06, 2016 at 11:42:31PM -0700, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

> I am all for convergence when it makes sense but I don't see how
> hdmi-codec.h provides equivalent functionality for BYT/CHT with what was
> suggested in this patchset -derived from VED patches- and discussed earlier
> with intel-gfx folks, specifically how LPE pipe interrupts are
> masked/unmasked and passed to the audio driver? The BYT/CHT HDMI

Without knowing what these things are it's hard to comment but it does
seem that if Intel has a reasonable use case for them then so too will
other vendors at some point.

> functionality is also not modeled as an ASoC codec - which seems a
> dependency from the comments in hdmi-codec.h - since it's really part of the
> i915 hardware and exposed only as a set of registers+DMA, without any serial
> link interface typically needed for an external device or the internal
> HDAudio-display link.

None of which is at all unusal.  The Intel hardware really doesn't seem
like the sort of special snowflake that people appear to believe it to
be.