On 30/09/15 07:28, Imre Deak wrote:
On ke, 2015-08-26 at 16:58 +0530, Animesh Manna wrote:

-void i915_firmware_load_error_print(const char *fw_path, int err)
-{
-       DRM_ERROR("failed to load firmware %s (%d)\n", fw_path, err);
-
-       /*
-        * If the reason is not known assume -ENOENT since that's the most
-        * usual failure mode.
-        */
-       if (!err)
-               err = -ENOENT;
-
-       if (!(IS_BUILTIN(CONFIG_DRM_I915) && err == -ENOENT))
-               return;
-
-       DRM_ERROR(
-         "The driver is built-in, so to load the firmware you need to\n"
-         "include it either in the kernel (see CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE) or\n"
-         "in your initrd/initramfs image.\n");
-}
-

The point here was to clarify the reason why the loading failed, since
that caused quite a confusion. It was a separate function since the same
could've been called from the GuC loader too. I think the error message
would be still useful.

Agreed 100%. The code of this function was a bit confusing, however this error message has proved very useful "on the field" many times already. Please preserve the message.