On Tue, Jun 11, 2024 at 07:38:37PM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 17:37:12 +0200 Larysa Zaremba wrote:
> > Fix the problems that are triggered by tx_timeout and ice_xdp() calls,
> > including both pool and program operations.
>
> Is there really no way for ice to fix the locking? :(
> The busy loops and trylocks() are not great, and seem like duct tape.

The locking mechanisms I use here do not look pretty, but if I am not missing
anything, the synchronization they provide must be robust.

A prettier way of protecting the same critical sections would be replacing
ICE_CFG_BUSY around ice_vsi_rebuild() with rtnl_lock(), this would eliminate
locking code from .ndo_bpf() altogether, ice_rebuild_pending() logic will have
to stay.

At some point I have decided to avoid using rtnl_lock(), if I do not have to. I
think this is a goal worth pursuing?