Hola Terry et al!

I keep re-reading this thread in utter disbelief that lift could be so simple and just a matter of new materials like the superstrong carbon nanotubes and buckyballs. Took some notes today during lunch about these vacuum balloons;

1) its after all a buoyancy compensator like we use in diving to keep us at one level or adjust to whatever level you need in the water since everything 'gravitates' to its own level

2) would need a rigid, super light weight structure that would not collapse due to the internal vacuum

3) possibly a carbon nanotube support frame with rigid buckyball panels similar in form to the almost geodesic ship used in the 1958 Jules Verne movie, 'From the Earth to the Moon', the panels would be on the outside so they would tend to be pulled inward by the vacuum, but would not collapse

4) possibly a foam with evacuated bubbles, made with a chemical or heat process that would expand the initial gas in the bubble and when it cooled or was treated with a chemical, the membrane of the foam bubble would be essentially a DIODE, allowing for the outflow of air, then when it is rapidly cooled, would locking the membrane behind it so no air could return...I hereby dub this alien technology....Maxwells Demon Foam (MDF)...<LOL>...

5) buckyball or carbon nanotubes which could be voided and prevent reentry of the escaped air, really any shape that could be imagined could be made using this material

Now that Maxwell Demon material might be useful in MANY WAYS...serving as a diode to bias the direction of flow of whatever as it does in electrical current and of course checkvalves for water/gas under pressure, in the case of the vacuum balloons, we want the total expulsion of all air to form a vacuum of varying 'vacuity'

Heat would cause the air in such a MFD enclosed structure to expand and ooze outward through the membrane, rapid cooling would cause the material pores to close and lock to hold the vacuum by preventing any air from re-entering...yeah, thats the trick!

I think there are thus 3 keys to the practical implementation of vacuum balloons...

1) super lightweight
2) structural strength that would not collapse due to the vacuum
3) MDF as the general checkvalve/diode material to allow the gas to exit but not re-enter

Such a MFD material would be invaluable and thats my thought for THIS day on this idea.

T. Bastian wrote:
I have for a long time tried to come up with a way to create an area of total pneumatic vacuum so I could make it lift an object.. Especially in an electrical or acoustic fashion.. But this seems very promising.. Just think the C-5 cargo aircraft creates an about 2.5 psi difference (Bernoulli's principal) between the top of the wing and the bottom, to get off the ground... Yea yea yea, Newtons action reaction also comes into play after the aircraft gets off the ground.. but that's not the point... But the C-17 cargo plane can land and take off in a shorter distance than the C-5, but its no surprise since it only needs to develop just over 1 psi upper/lower difference.. So to get a 14.7psi or so... WOW! what a lifting force... As long as the container or object doesn't weigh a bazillion tons and nullify it....

Terry Bastian

--
              Jerry Decker - http://www.keelynet.com
Donations to support KeelyNet: http://www.keelynet.com/donate1.htm