Hmm...  Must be the gaskets used in a motor vehicle's fuel delivery system aren't made of neoprene...  Considering I've soaked those gaskets (and fuel lines) in 100% acetone for MONTHS with no ill effects.

Anybody want to chime in on what exactly they're made of?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
read this study:

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17220692

--- Dave Narby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Jerry et. al.,

I took a look at the article on acetone being
banned in Vietnam

http://www.platts.com/HOME/News/9320310.xml?sub=HOME&p=HOME/News

and
there are at least a couple factual errors
there...  Firstly, most seals
in the fuel delivery system of a gas powered
vehicle are neoprene, not
rubber.  Secondly, acetone is definitely NOT a
chemical used in gasoline
formulation.

Think about it - why would the petroleum
companies want to put something
in your gas that INCREASES fuel economy?

They DO put things in which DEGRADE fuel
economy...  Like ethanol!

Ethanol is ostensibly added to decrease auto
emissions - which it
DOES...  Something on the order of 5-10%.
However, ethanol added to the
gas (E10) DECREASES FUEL ECONOMY 10-15%...  So
there is a NET GAIN in
emissions as a result of using ethanol - as a
result of MORE GAS BEING
BURNED.

I'm sure the Oil Lords laughed all the way to
the bank when they passed
THAT particular law.

Dave Narby

Jerry Decker - KN wrote:

Hola Dave et al!

NEVER USE ACETONE in an engine...it will mess

up the seals, gaskets,

etc...it has been outlawed in the

Phillipines...refer to the recent news

article on KeelyNet about it DESTROYING

engines.

Toluene, yes...

Mothballs, YES if you don't use too many...I

have been using 1:4 in my

1996 Ranger for nearly 4 months now....was

getting from 18-22mpg, with

mothballs, I get around 30-35mpg!!!  And it

runs better than ever, has

more power and I can climb the mountains on

my weekly trips to nearby

towns.  Been to Goodyear twice and they said

the motor is in very good

condition for a 1996.

The problem is some people use WAY TOO MANY

mothballs....the original

recommendation was 1 ball for 4

gallons...thats what I've been using.

They will carbonize the engine if you use too

many and require repairs.

I think you have that wrong about the

tailgate DOWN degrading

mileage..its running your pickup with the

tailgate UP that produces the

resistance to lower your mpg...

Thats why they have the NET gate that lets

air pass through it, but

tonneau cover is even better.  Living in

central Mexico, I just load it

up with Mexicans wanting a lift and let them

be the airfoil....<lol>....

Nos vemos!

Dave Narby wrote:

Hey Mark,

Dude...  DUDE...  Skip the mothballs.

Naphtha will eventually screw

up your engine.

Try adding 1-2 more oz of acetone per 10

gallons.  The sweet spot

seems to be 3 oz, some people do better w/a

little more or less.

Also try 7-10 ounces of toluene or xylene

and advancing the timing

(toluene is used commercially as an octane

booster, xylene is very

similar, and both are 50-75% cheaper if you

add them in yourself as

opposed to paying for the 'pre-blended' mix

at the pump).

Try the Mobil 15k synthetic oil.  You change

it less and it costs the

same as running cheapo oil.
Add 4 oz of Torco MZP engine assembly lube

to your gearbox.

Also, try a chin spoiler.  This will block

air from your undercarriage.

Do all that and you'll probably have a 33MPG

59 Edsel.

Dave

PS running your truck with the tailgate down

degrades MPGs.  Running

a tonneau cover (even a 1/2 cover from the

cab back) increases MPGs.

---cheers!!!
'The Old Master'
@Dulcet Tone Service -- "NEW HOPE FOR THE WRETCHED"
Electric guitar and tube amplifier repairs [EMAIL PROTECTED]&#!
at the SOUND MILL
"The Lord has a plan for me... and it isn't pretty."