On 4/23/12 5:11 PM, Michael Jackson wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2012, at 4:57 PM, Stephen Chu wrote:
>
>> On 4/23/12 4:49 PM, Michael Jackson wrote:
>>> I am going to do this from memory but www.apple.com is going to be the
>>> source for the exact answer.
>>>
>>> OS X 10.5 was both PPC and Intel and 32 and 64 bit (Kinda/ sort of).
>>>
>>> You could install OS X 10.5 on 32/64 bit PPC and some Intel machines. Apple
>>> did early on use the Intel Core Duo and Core Solo which are 32 bit
>>> processors. So there are some intel machines that can run OS X 10.5 (even
>>> 10.4.11) but only in 32 bit mode.
>>>
>>> OS X 10.6&   10.7 Requirements:
>>> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4949
>>>
>>> OS X 10.5 Requirements:
>>> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3759
>>>
>>> The question you need to ask yourself is how many of your customers are
>>> still using OS X 10.5? If you have a relatively "new" app I would ditch 32
>>> bit support and just go with 64 bit support from here on out. If you have
>>> some sort of custom app for an internal IT department or something special
>>> where you need to support back to OS X 10.5 I would just stick with Qt
>>> 4.7.4 which should have support for building all the way back to 10.5 with
>>> Cocoa or Carbon.
>>>

>> We definitely have to support 10.6 and that means some of the customer may
>> have 32-bit machines. And in my industry, it's really common to have older
>> Macs running our software. They don't update very frequently, if at all.
>>
>> We just finally got rid of PPC support this year. :(
>
> I would stick with Qt 4.7.4 for exactly that purpose. Is there something
> super-special that you MUST have in Qt 4.8 for your application? If you have
> machines that old then you are going to be "stuck" with Qt 4.7.x until those
> machines can get upgraded. From the writing on the wall it looks like 32 bit
> support is being or should be dumped by Qt for OS X. Apple certainly dumped
> it when OS X 10.7 came out.
>
> If Qt 5 is supposed to run on ALL OS X 10.6 machines then there is a bug in
> that Qt 5 will NOT build in 32 bit mode.
>
> MJ.

Actually Qt 4.8 is not a problem. I have it built in 32-bit already.
It's Qt 5 I am having trouble with.

It's mentioned somewhere on Qt 5 supported platforms that 10.6 will be
2nd tier platform. I suppose it means 32-bit should be supported, hence
the bug report.

There's some nice additions like V8 JS engine and JSON support in Qt 5
that I am interested in. Not terribly hard to replace in 4.8. But I'd
like to keep up since this project eventually have to be updated.