On 07 Oct 2014, at 15:37, Andreas Schuller <andreas.schul...@student.tugraz.at>
wrote:

> On 10/07/2014 12:46 PM, Gunnar Sletta wrote:
> [...]
>>> Is it possible to utilize the z-coordinate of the vertices for this
>>> purpose (within a QuickItem)? Or is there a better solution?
>>
>> You have two options. Either you rely on scene graph's internal batching
>> algorithm, (which will probably be sufficient) or you hook your GL up to
>> beforeRendering and do custom GL behind the UI.
>>
>> If you choose to rely on the internal batching, the only thing you need to
>> take care of is that your lines's materials are equal
>> (QSGMaterial::compare() for all instances will return 0), that your labels
>> compare return 0. The markers need to be changed from point sprites to
>> triangles to allow batching though. We only try to batch GL_TRIANGLE and
>> GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP.
>
> thank you for your advice!
>
> What I haven't mentioned is, that the position of each object changes
> continuously (e.g. every second) and the number of objects varies from
> frame to frame. Additionally, the scene may be rendered in up to 5 windows.
>
> The results of the "Flying Icons" benchmark are impressive. But IHMO,
> creating and maintaining a large tree of small geometry nodes is a bit
> wasteful in my case. Maybe, it's better to do custom GL by using
> QQuickFramebufferObject instead.

Yeah, going through an FBO is another way to do raw GL. It comes with a bit of
overhead compared to using the beforeRendering() signal, but has the benefit
that it integrates with the rest of the rendering, clipping and opacity and
such. On a desktop it will in all likelyhood be fine. For an embedded system,
you should verify that the performance is acceptable before choosing it.

cheers,
Gunnar