I've accepted the fact that QAudioDecoder has no backend support on Macintosh,
so now I'm working on Windows. I have successfully decoded a .mp3 and a .wav
file. A couple of issues:

I fed the decoder a .aif file. I'm prepared to learn that it isn't supported on
Windows. After calling QAudioDecoder::start(), I called QAudioDecoder::error()
and got back QAudioDecoder::NoError. But then nothing else happens. No
bufferReady() signal, no finished() signal, no error signal.

Question 1: how can I determine that a given file will be decodable? Is there a
call I can make to find out if my file is supported? Or do I have to just know
from the file extension and my extensive (hah!) knowledge of Qt Multimedia
backend plug-ins?

I fed it a .wav file. QAudioFormat told me it was a signed 8-bit file. But a
.wav file is apparently always unsigned if it is 8-bit.

Question 2: Hm... I guess there is no question, it's just a bug.

Thanks all!

-John Weeks