We would likely take advantage of Modbus and DNP3, if these became available.

Mike

From: interest-bounces+mnelson=sutron....@qt-project.org
[mailto:interest-bounces+mnelson=sutron....@qt-project.org] On Behalf Of Elvis
Stansvik
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2015 2:36 PM
To: Turunen Tuukka; interest@qt-project.org Interest
Subject: Re: [Interest] Relevant industrial buses

<tuukka.turu...@theqtcompany.com<mailto:tuukka.turu...@theqtcompany.com>>:

Hi,

As you are probably aware, we are developing a new Qt SerialBus module. Target
is to have a technology preview in Qt 5.6 with support to CANBus. You can look
how it is shaping up at: http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtserialbus.git/

I wasn't aware. Very interesting.

The architecture of the new Qt SerialBus is modular, and we would like to add
support to new buses relevant for Qt based systems. One area that Qt is widely
used is industrial automation, and therefore we are interested in knowing which
are the buses you would like to have supported with this module. We are of
course also very much open to contributions to get more buses supported.

I wouldn't say I work in industrial automation, but we are building a machine
for mineral analysis. We're not using Qt for the machine control parts in this
project though (but we are using PyQt for various GUIs, but that's for remote
control, not close to the hardware).

Modbus comes to mind as a protocol you might want to support, in its various
incarnations (TCP, UDP, serial, ...). It's a very widespread protocol still,
despite its age.

I don't know what scope you have in mind for this module. I looked briefly at
the code, and the interfaces seems quite general (read/write/configuration
parameters).

Other protocols we use at work are various hardware vendor specific protocols
over RS-422 and RS-485, so had we used Qt we would have used QtSerialPort.
Modbus was the only thing that came to mind right now. Currently we use
pymodbus, which is very well-written, if you need inspiration.

Qt for industrial automation is an interesting prospect though.

Best regards,
Elvis Stansvik

Yours,

Tuukka Turunen