If you're coming from a GCC world, there's an important difference between GCC
and MSVC: GCC exports symbols by default, while MSVC doens't. In MSVC, you need
to explicitly exports the symbols you want to link against in other projects.
If you don't export anything, then MSVC won't generate the .lib file.

See:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/3y1sfaz2.aspx
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a90k134d.aspx

...or Google for "__declspec(dllexport)".

Hope this helps,

--
Yves Bailly
Software developer