Yes, Ideally what I want:
1. Be able to get object id as string
2. Search the object heirarchy for that string and get that object

Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 12:14 PM
From: "Dmitry Volosnykh" <dmitry.volosn...@gmail.com>
To: "Jason H" <jh...@gmx.com>, "interest@qt-project.org" <interest@qt-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Interest] QML id property to string?
I feel the same need frequently, too. Without such feature I have to set objectName by copy-pasting and qouting id. This is quite annoying.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 8:08 PM Jason H <jh...@gmx.com> wrote:
A few times now, I've wanted to display the id as a string. Usually when something goes wrong on the console, but sometimes in a hash/map.  I've got a function that takes an object (QML item) and does some processing on it. Is there a way to get it? I know I can just set a property, but then that has to be maintained separately.