I had a working app with a menu that slides in.
I converted it to use a Loader to load the area that contains the menu and the
start page. Now the menu shows up when the app first starts.

Despite my Menu.qml being:
Item {
        id: menu
        x: -width //I should be off-screen!
        visible: false // you're not visible!!!
        Behavior on x {
                NumberAnimation {
                        duration: 250
                }
        }
}

qml: loaderState 1
qml: menu.width 480
qml: menu.x -480
qml: root.onCompeleted

It shows and slides to the left. If I comment out the behavior, it works fine.
I'm not sure why it's starting at X position 0, when it didn't before. It
doesn't look like it is being assigned to zero anywhere in initialization.