The deployment process to the various app stores kinda sucks, but that's not Qt's fault.

The other frusrtation I have is just the lack of true mobile integration. Things like notifications (local and remote), wake locks, and various other bits that are not supported yet, but could be. Part of the problem is the differences start to show immediately because the Android SDK and iOS SDKs share nothing at the lower level. In iOS you use an app delegate, in Android you end up writing a bunch of classes in Java and/or JNI code. All things being equal I like the iOS approach, but Obj-C sucks in ways that I cannot begin to describe. Fortuantely, you can mix some C++, but your app delegate mehods have to be in Obj-C.

I no longer spend most of my time in Qt, I spend it wring the same thing twice - once for Obj-C and once in Java. Anything I can do in C++ I do, then link it to the "platform shim" object that I create. The Qt is the easy part.

Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 6:18 PM
From: "Jérôme Godbout" <jer...@bodycad.com>
To: "Interests Qt" <interest@qt-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Interest] Is Qt/QML suitable for me?
As far as I know, PyQt5 is available for Android, but not PyQt4. Anyway if you want to do some Qml, I strongly suggest Qt5 and the lastest especially if you start a new project.

JS can acheive as much with many porting, since the Qml JS engine have a few particularity on it's own. But no it cannot accomplish more on it's own, since with Python you can do most of it and still can use the JS side into Qml no matter if you use Python or C++ under it.
  1. C++/Qt/Qml             most code into C++
  2. Python/PyQt/Qml     most code into Python
  3. C++/Qt/Qml             most code into _javascript_, you write your logic into .js at Qml level
  4. C#/xamarin              most code into C#

the full JS will still need the the C++ apps kick start, so you better learn a bit of C++ while you are at it and do some function in C++. The JS will have a huge performance it (we did try to make many thing into it, but we reverted those, but we are looking for real time performance with some heavy apps).

You should try a small application and deploy it (because deploying on mobile is not always funny) and see what you feel confortable to use.

Jerome

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Артур Истомин <art.is...@yandex.ru> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 01:38:58PM -0600, Bob Hood wrote:
> On 8/30/2016 1:11 PM, Артур Истомин wrote:
> >I want to convert my POS (point of sale) software (long ugly shell-scripts)
> >to GUI-software for mobile (Android) and desktop (Linux/Windows) devices.
> >
> >I don't know C++ but know some JS. So is it possible to write my
> >application, POS, entirely on _javascript_? Almost all application logic are
> >sql transactions with local sqlite database.
>
> Honestly, I think Qt is the best framework for C++ that I've seen in my
> entire career (spanning back to the early 1980s). However, if you don't

> already /know/C++, then you will have a substantially greater learning curve
> just to get to use Qt for the application you want to write.  As much as the
> standards committee is trying to turn C++ into a scripting language, it
> still has it's roots in C, and Here Be Monsters for the uninitiated.
>
> I think it is a good thing to have at least some familiarity with a modern,
> native language like C++ or C# (which is arguably designed after Java), but
> in your particular case, only having had exposure to something more akin to
> a scripting language, I'd recommend you evaluate using Python with PySide
> (which is Python bindings for Qt) to port your point-of-sale software there.
> That would not only put you into the more familiar (and more forgiving)
> territory of a rapid-development scripting language, you'd also get to learn
> Qt at the same time, and could later transition to C++ already having
> knowledge of how to leverage the Qt framework within it.

I was considering python as candidate to C++. But as far as I understand it is mostly impossible to develop with python for Android. Or python bindings for Qt
has nothing in common with run python code on Android devices? I'm sorry if my
questions/views seriously skewed, my programming skills are little more than just a shell-scripting and two js-forms on simple web-page.

More importantly, if I understand correctly with JS I can achieve more than
with python because it is already included in Qt framework, is it true?

Thanks for your recommendations!