On 23/03/2021 09.16, Michael Jackson wrote:
Having read this entire conversation I find it interesting that we as
developers are complaining about features being deprecated and
removed in Qt but yet where is the anger when C++ spec removes
features?
Oh, it's there.

However, C++ is *far* more conservative than Qt about what it removes, and most of the removals are genuinely unuseful. (Seriously, *trigraphs*? Are *you* using trigraphs? Or auto_ptr?)

If you're seriously going to advance this argument, you need to point out one or more *specific* changes that you believe are harmful. Even then, chances are your compiler will continue to support that stuff for another 10 years.

Also, C++ isn't a dictatorship the way Qt is. Anyone can object to any change, not just on a mailing list, but in person. Anyone can, in theory (in practice, depending on where you live, there may be a non-trivial membership fee required) *vote* against a change. We, as the committee, generally try to be considerate of the community when making changes, and there is quite a lot of emphasis on not breaking existing code, even as far back as C++98.

--
Matthew