On 9/14/21 5:00 AM, Dan Allen wrote:
My question, did Qt ever claim it was safe for use in such devices?
Especially devices that are life critical?

And also, are the device manufacturers not ultimately responsible for
ensuring a device is safe?

I was always of the assumption there were compilers, software libraries
etc that were medical device safe.

Apologies if these questions are stupid, I'm not a medical device
expert. They came more from a personal concern as some of the things you
state sound scary to me.

Your questions aren't stupid sir. Honestly I wished more people asked them. As to your first question

https://www.qt.io/industry/qt-in-medical/

=====

   Wide use within Medical Devices

Whether you are developing FDA or EU Class II or Class III products such as surgical robots, infusion pumps, patient monitoring systems or medical imaging applications, Qt gives you the technology to make robust and reliable systems. What you create with Qt will not only impress your end users, but provide them with a natural and seamless user experience.

Qt fully supports your FDA, EN, ISO, IEC and other major and emerging medical market's certification and compliance efforts. Leveraging this support with Qt's development services and partnerships with leading medical services companies, you can create more, code less, and deploy everywhere- and ahead of the rest .

In addition, Qt has tools certified to IEC 62304:2015 up to safety class C.

=====

Your second and third questions are a bit more of a sticky wicket.

There are many different categories of software compliance.

https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/fda-bioresearch-monitoring-information/guidance-industry-computerized-systems-used-clinical-trials

Lots of different product classifications

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/device-software-functions-including-mobile-medical-applications/examples-device-software-functions-fda-regulates

Yes, products get recalled for software failures. It's not a bug if you are recalled, it's a failure.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/medical-device-recalls/baxter-healthcare-recalls-dose-iq-software-version-90x-used-spectrum-iq-infusion-pumps-software

There is actually a name for this stuff, a real name, not just IEC 62304 as referred to in this BlackBerry documentation

https://blackberry.qnx.com/content/dam/qnx/static-linuxlanding/static/QNX-Medical-White-Paper-f7124c5376aac812a5822f2523946dcb.pdf

====

Regulatory requirements are driving the demand for software that is compliant

to the IEC 62304 standard for “Medical device software – Software life cycle

processes.” IEC 62304 requires that manufacturers follow good development practices to produce high-quality software for medical applications.

====

I know they are pitching their RTOS in that thing, but it is a good informative read and unlike the earlier links won't induce sudden deep sleep. Much of what I skimmed seems lifted directly from FDA training documentation. One of the "good development practices" is you cannot use Git. At least you cannot use what people know as the free-wheeling default configuration of Git. You have to use a completely locked down source management system like the ones put out by Perforce and sometimes Team Foundation Server can be properly configured for use. It has to do with all of the audit tracking and the fact you can actually delete stuff out of Git which is a massive no-no.

Ah! SOUP - Software of Unknown Providence

https://semiwiki.com/eda/285176-linux-for-medical-devices-qa/

=====

Instead of pre-certification, in medical devices, Linux is generally handled using a concept from IEC 62304 called Software of Unknown Providence, or SOUP. Under these guidelines the use of Linux is considered as part of the risk assessment of the overall device, and potential failures of Linux as used in the device must be considered, and mitigated if they might cause harm to a patient.

=====

That statement is both true and false. It's true if you are rolling your own Yocto or other Linux build. Manufacturers of SoMs (System on Modules) tend to spin up and get certification for custom Linux builds. This increases both sales and the value of their modules.

There are also companies like this

https://www.timesys.com/industries/medical/

that have various previously certified builds and methods of getting new builds certified faster by assembling previously certified components of other builds.

There is another term that I'm brain spasming on right now. It ties into the previous discussion. This is where you reference previous certification as justification. Getting something like the Gnu C/C++ compiler through certification is a big expensive process. That's why we don't willy-nilly change versions on the systems creating final builds. There are third party certification companies that push such things through and you can pay money to obtain the sacred documentation.

So, depending on the classification of your medical device/application (apps running on a phone meant to control a medical device fall under said regs too) the manufacture isn't responsible for getting everything certified. I don't know of anyone who has certified an iPhone that could have a zillion different security breaching apps installed on it by the user, but I'm not on that side of the biz. I've never certified one of those apps. I ASS-U-ME they are allowed to use a clean phone but that may well be a false assumption.

A manufacturer can, with the proper paperwork and payments to the people who pushed it through, utilize "prior art." CoM (Computer on Modules) and SoM (System on Module) and SoC (System on Chips) manufacturers like this one:

https://www.toradex.com/computer-on-modules

spend a lot of time and money pushing their products along with BSP (Board Support Package) and embedded OSes through FDA certification to dramatically increase the price of their product.

The RTOS (Real-Time Operating System) vendors also spend a lot of time getting their wares certified on various hardware. Back in the day Wind River Systems went so far as to buy the Zinc cross platform GUI and roll it into their product so they would be the only RTOS on the market with a GUI. If you want to read a book for free on that dead product you can read it for free on Google Books.

https://books.google.com/books?id=cdx_nLaqMn0C&pg=PP1&dq=Zinc+It&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwju-oWss_7yAhVC-J4KHfYjCj8Q6AF6BAgKEAI#v=onepage&q=Zinc%20It&f=false

Yes, I wrote that one too, very long ago.

Ultimately the manufacturer is responsible for eating the recall. There used to be a time when, after X FDA mandated product recalls you couldn't get product liability insurance anymore. Given the names appearing year after year with multiple devices on the FDA list, I must assume that time is mostly over.

Where things go pear shaped and sideways at the same time is when you produce Medical-Device-A and push it through to market. Jane Smith dies (or suffers significant injury) using Medical-Device-A. This gets reported up through the medical staff/hospital to the FDA either through the company or the company is notified by the FDA. A review, inquiry, investigation of the root cause occurs. That's when you, they, and everyone else finds out SOUP testing didn't manage to translate the test conditions for an 8+ year old race condition/abend level bug into your test plan. That's when the class action and personal injury lawyers come out of the woodwork like roaches in a New York tenement.

I know you wanted a straight answer but we are talking about government regulations and court cases. A bent cork screw is about as straight as it gets.

It sounds like such a simple phrase though, doesn't it?

"IEC 62304 requires that manufacturers follow good development practices to produce high-quality software for medical applications. "

That one phrase creates an alternate universe where everything fun and free wheeling about software goes away. It becomes physically impossible to defend yourself when using a product that allows race/abend bugs to remain in their bug database for years.

If you have further questions, please just email me off-list. I don't really check the interest emails much as none of my clients are using Qt anymore.

--
Roland Hughes, President
Logikal Solutions

http://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com