On 2022-04-07 23:08, Israel Brewster wrote:
On Apr 7, 2022, at 12:59 PM, Henry Skoglund <he...@tungware.se> wrote:

On 2022-04-07 20:28, Israel Brewster wrote:
Using Qt 5.15 and PySide2, I am working on a project that requires me to produce a PDF output. My process so far is to create a QWidget containing the content I want, render it to a QPicture (so it won’t be rasterized upon “printing”), then create a PDF QPrinter and use the painter.drawPicture() function to “print” the widget into a PDF.

This works well, giving me a high-quality vectorized PDF output, with one exception: any item that is filled with a gradient. When printing to PDF, the gradient always comes out as solid white. With some digging, I determined that this is even the case when doing nothing but a simple painter.fillRect() with a gradient.

Is there any “fix” for this? Thanks.

If it helps, here is some simple code that reproduces the issue:

from PySide2.QtWidgets import QApplication
from PySide2.QtGui import QPainter, QPageSize, QLinearGradient
from PySide2.QtPrintSupport import QPrinter
from PySide2.QtCore import QSize, QRect, Qt

app = QApplication()

gradient_rect = QRect(0, 0, 500, 25)
gradient = QLinearGradient(0, 0, 1, 0)
gradient.setColorAt(0, Qt.blue)
gradient.setColorAt(1, Qt.red)

page_size = QPageSize(QSize(500, 25), matchPolicy = QPageSize.ExactMatch)
printer = QPrinter()
printer.setOutputFormat(QPrinter.PdfFormat)
printer.setPageSize(page_size)
printer.setOutputFileName('/tmp/testPDFGradient.pdf')

painter = QPainter(printer)
painter.fillRect(gradient_rect, gradient)
painter.end()

Hi, try
gradient_rect = QRect(0, 0, 500, 25)
gradient = QLinearGradient(0, 0, 500, 25)
gradient.setColorAt(0, Qt.blue)
gradient.setColorAt(1, Qt.red)
(i.e. QLinearGradient's ctor expects coords)
No change. The 1 value was picked because that’s what displays correctly in testing, but even with the suggested change I still get a solid white box.

Hmm, I just tested on Ubuntu 20.04, created an empty vanilla widget program in Qt 5.15.2. added "printsupport" to the .pro file and changed mainwindow.cpp to look like this:

#include "mainwindow.h"
#include "ui_mainwindow.h"
#include "QtPrintSupport"

MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent)
    : QMainWindow(parent)
    , ui(new Ui::MainWindow)
{
    ui->setupUi(this);

    auto gradient_rect = QRect(0,0,500,25);
    auto gradient = QLinearGradient(0,0,500,25);
    gradient.setColorAt(0,Qt::blue);
    gradient.setColorAt(1,Qt::red);

    QPrinter printer;
    QPageSize ps(QSize(500,25),"GradientTest",QPageSize::ExactMatch);
printer.setOutputFormat(QPrinter::PdfFormat);
    printer.setPageSize(ps);
printer.setOutputFileName("/home/henry/Downloads/testPDFGradient.pdf");

    QPainter painter;
    painter.begin(&printer);
painter.fillRect(gradient_rect,gradient);
    painter.end();
}

MainWindow::~MainWindow()
{
    delete ui;
}

screenshot here:https://tungware.se/GradientOnUbuntu.png
(also tested on Windows 10 MSVC2019 Qt 5.15.2 and works there as well)

Maybe pySide2 messes up something, you could try with some C++ :-)

Interesting…must be a MacOS thing then. I just tried your C++ code with the exact same results - plain white rectangle. So the only difference I can see now is that you tested on Windows and Linux, while I am testing on MacOS.

Wonderfull. Now I apparently need different code depending on which OS I am running on (assuming I can get this to work on MacOS at all)...
---

I fired up my Mac, tested my code above on Qt 6.2.4 and verified I got the same "A whiter shade of pale" as you.

Then I tested by copying a working .pdf from Ubuntu into Monterey, it also displayed as totally white (when double-clicked or when viewed in Safari). But when I copied the .PDF generated in Monterey into Ubuntu, guess what: it displayed correctly.

But it gets better! Guess what happens if you choose to view the PDF on Monterey with either Chrome or Firefox (instead of Safari), then the blue-red gradient lights up, yes even on the Mac :-)

Interesting, right?