From: Interest <interest-boun...@qt-project.org> on behalf of Jérôme Godbout
via Interest <interest@qt-project.org>
Date: Thursday, December 14, 2023 at 16:36
To: Qt Interest <interest@qt-project.org>
Subject: [Interest] Yocto is application or device creation license???
Hi,

I have a client who is looking for a GUI stack for their SPA devices. The
device use a yocto we build for them. The Fuzzy license of Qt is not very clear
on where does Yocto build fall in term of licensing.

My understanding if fall into the Linux embedded and force them to go into the
device license I think. But this will be a show stopper for them if they have
to paid royalty fee. Does Yocto Linux count as Linux Desktop, since we are
building a desktop on arm chipset in the end.

The device creation is just plain impossible, the royalty fee is above the cost
of the MCU itself, which is a no go.

I feel like I always end up in that impossible licensing problems with Qt, the
embedded license is out of touch aside from huge expensive system like car!

So far, we look at Qt for hospital bed, SPA, car charging units… The price is
just a show stopper at each time…

[signature_917022966]<https://www.dimonoff.com/>
Jérôme Godbout, B.Eng.
Software / Firmware Team Lead
[Smart Phone avec un remplissage uni] (581) 777-0050
[Envelope avec un remplissage uni]
jgodb...@dimonoff.com<mailto:jgodb...@dimonoff.com>
[World avec un remplissage uni] www.dimonoff.com<http://www.dimonoff.com/>