Folks,

I am doing some research into Software Defined Networking to see how
InterMapper could help you manage your networks.

First, a bit about SDN: Wikipedia says
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software-defined_networking) in part...

---
Software-defined networking (SDN) is an approach to building computer networks
that separates and abstracts elements of these systems. SDN allows system
administrators to quickly provision network connections on the fly instead of
manually configuring policies. This has become more important with the
emergence of virtualization which an enterprise data center may need to create
and configure virtual machines (VMs) remotely, and configure firewall rules or
network addresses in response. Many approaches exist to resolve this issue such
as Virtual LANs but this may also introduce management issues. SDN allows
network administrators to have programmable central control of network traffic
without requiring physical access to the network's hardware devices.
---

My questions:

- Are you using Software Defined Networking today? Do you plan to deploy it
within 12 months?

- How will you use it? How will it make your life better?

- Will it be part of your core network, or is this an experiment?

- There are a number of organizations that are working to develop and
standardize SDN. These include: OpenFlow, Open Networking Foundation,
OpenDaylight, vendor-specific programs, etc. Are you following any of these?

Please feel free to respond to the list, or e-mail me privately. I'll post a
summary after I get some results.

Thanks!

Rich Brown                    rich.br...@intermapper.com
InterMapper                   http://www.intermapper.com
66-7 Benning Street           Telephone: 603-643-9600
West Lebanon, NH 03784-3407   Fax: 603-643-2289

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including attachments, may include
confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person
or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the
intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender
by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.