Hi,

On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 01:19:36AM +0200, Tomas V.V.Cox wrote :
[...]
> pecl package name
> -----------------
>
> The name of the extension would be:
>
> peclfoo-bin-<OS>-<ARCH>-3.1.2-<STATE>.tgz
>
> The os (Operating system) and arch (CPU type), would be the value
> returned by the OS_Guess class. STATE is a valid PEAR_Common package
> state.
[...]

    The only thing I was really missing here (unless I managed to
    miss it in the text only) is different PHP versions.

    A binary built for PHP 4.0 wouldn't work with PHP 4.3 for
    example due to interface changes (bad example because not
    only the API changed but also some internals afaik;
    neverthless).

    I don't know if it's a good idea to show the version of PHP
    the binary was compiled against, but somehow it needs to be
    known if the binary is compatible at all.

    For example mod_ssl [1] always includes the version number of
    the Apache server it works with:

    21-Mar-2003:       Released 2.8.14-1.3.27: Important bugfixes.

    So, with a quick look on the filename you know if it's
    compiled against your PHP version or not.

    - Markus