1.5 mb is tiny :)

1.5 mb is just a du -ch *.c *.h, and its a one time download.  Then you
cvs upd the rest of the changes as they happen.   As a point of
reference, the mbstring extension is 2.9 mb of data, sqlite is in total
1.9 mb of data.

Libmysql was much more code than the bundled sqlite is. But besides
that, I'm talking about enabling by default - not bundling.  As I
mentioned its been bundled for quite awhile now. :)

-Sterling

--
"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor kind of business."
    - Henry Ford