On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, Lars Torben Wilson wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>It seems that array appending has changed wrt negative indices. I had
>just documented the new behaviour but now I'm not entirely sure whether
>I've just documented an unintentional change. Is this new behaviour what
>is desired (i.e. skipping straight from some negative key to 0 when
>appending with $arr[] = <expr>).
>

>Thanks for any insight,
>

>Torben
>

>Test script:
><?php
>$arr[-5] = "minus five";
>$arr[] = "minus four";
>var_dump($arr);
>?>
>

>Output PHP 4.2.1:
>array(2) {
>  [-5]=>
>  string(10) "minus five"
>  [-4]=>
>  string(10) "minus four"
>}

Output PHP 4.2.3:
array(2) {
  [-5]=>
  string(10) "minus five"
  [-4]=>
  string(10) "minus four"
}

Output PHP 4.3.1:
array(2) {
  [-5]=>
  string(10) "minus five"
  [0]=>
  string(10) "minus four"
}

>Output PHP 4.3.2:
>array(2) {
>  [-5]=>
>  string(10) "minus five"
>  [0]=>
>  string(10) "minus four"
>}

    Seems to have been changed in between 4.2.3 and 4.3.0.
    There is/was some bug reports about this too, iirc.

    Not very critical, I don't think there are that many scripts
    using this?

    --Jani