----- Original Message -----
MB>From: "Marcus Börger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
MB>To: "Cristiano Duarte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
MB>Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2003 5:12 PM
MB>Subject: Re: before beta 2
MB>
MB>
MB>Hello Cristiano,
MB>
MB>you should have asked on the list

Sorry about that. It's on the list now. :-)

CD>>Saturday, September 6, 2003, 9:51:55 PM, you wrote:
CD>> Hi Marcus,
CD>> What's the status of these patches ?

MB>>> Hello 'internals',
MB>>>
MB>>> In no particular order these are the things i think should be done
before
MB>>> releasing the next php 5 beta version:
MB>>>
MB>>> - Include SPL (forach/array hooking).

MB>Patch to be reviewed by Zeev and Andi.
MB>http://marcus-boerger.de/php/ext/ze2/ze2-iterators-20030904.diff.txt
MB>(since one month)

No replies yet ? :-(

MB>>> - Implement overloading as suggested by Sterling.

MB>Discussion on details running.

Ok.

MB>>> - Typehinting with '= NULL' to allow NULL values as discussed

MB>We know we must discuss this again.

What needs to be discussed ? Typehinting works with NULL values (It's
working for me), or am I wrong?

MB>>> - Array and resource type hinting (patch at least for arrays is ready
MB>>>   and resources can easily be affed)

MB>Patch is there, final decision needed (last time i asked it looked good
for
MB>yes).
MB>http://marcus-boerger.de/php/ext/ze2/ze2-type-hints-20030722.diff.txt

Has anyone against it ? I'm +1

MB>>> - Typehinting for return values? This may be usefule especially when
MB>> working
MB>>>   with interfaces.
MB>>>
MB>>> - Fix __clone() visibility. When implementing singletons we must
forbid

MB>done.

What was done ? The __clone() visibility or typehinting for return values?
Maybe both ?

MB>>> - Complete work on exceptions and find a solution on when to throw
exceptions
MB>>>   and when to use errors.
MB>>>   I still do not see any BC problems with making try/catch blocks to
convert
MB>>>   E_WARING, E_NOTICE & E_ERROR to exceptions (assumed the problemntaic
E_ERRORS
MB>>>   are changed to E_CORE or such). Why no BC? Simply becuase using
try/catch
MB>>>   with old libs and relying on there error capturing is an antilogy in
itself.
MB>>>   Especially when thinking about the very limited capabilities in
handling
MB>>>   errors the old way.

MB>Exceptions seem to be ready for primetime though small changes like a new
MB>interface throwable may be incorporated and we have c-level functions to
MB>convert errors into exception which is needed for stors.

Will be possible to do it transparently? I mean, a php.ini entry like:
map_errors_to_exceptions_except_core_errors = true
;-)
Or it has to be done programatically ?

MB>>> - Discuss the package proposal and whether we want it or not.

MB>All i can say right know is that it has friends.

+1

MB>>> - Finally decide whether we want any other oo feature like
aggregation,
MB>No more features.
MB>>> - Most parts of the language are case insensitive, however some parts
are
MB>>>   not. For instance __construct, __clone,...
MB>No changes.
MB>>> - Move snprintf.c/spprintf.c into the engine.
MB>Done by having zend_vspprintf() as pointer into php code.

Ok.

MB>>> - Fix static class members.

MB>Should be fixed.

Should or is fixed ?

MB>>> - Do we want static methods to be overwritable?
MB>>>   php -r 'class t {static function x(){}}; class y {static function
x(){}};'
MB>Yes, we want it and it works.
MB>>> - We need to be able to declare method flags from function table for
classes
MB>>>   (static/public/protected/private/final).
MB>Done.

Ok.

MB>>> - Plug some memleaks.

MB>This is a never ending story, but we fixed several since beta 1 already
:-)

You're right and still there are so many to fix... :-(

MB>--
MB>Best regards,
MB> Marcus
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]