On October 7, 2003 08:47 pm, Jon Parise wrote:
> No, I'm not.  I'm saying it used to run without producing any errors,
> and that status quo should be preserved in a bugfix release.  Aside
> from being "illogical" and inconsistent, I don't see how changing this
> behavior qualifies as a bug fix.

The real fix (E_WARNING) is in PHP 5.0, in order to inform developers that a
certain (incorrect in this case) behavior will no longer be supported an
E_NOTICE is issued to inform them of the situation. The longer we wait the
more people will rely upon invalid functionality and 24 month down the road
we will have no choice but to keep brokenness in PHP due to BC issues as was
the case in similar situations.

> Which just goes to show that the authors of the PEAR library (who are
> not ignorant of the PHP language and its constraints) were under the
> assumption that the code was correct at the time that is was written.

Just because something works does not mean it is correct. You can write code
with only E_ERROR reporting level and have it work. But, not everyone runs
with such an insanely low error reporting level. Many things work in PHP, but
it does not mean using that functionality is correct.

Ilia