Andi Gutmans wrote:
I guess I think it'd be interesting to see what other's think. Also, another point to check is if list() can also be converted into [] because having a hybrid wouldn't be too nice.

Having list() work the same way would be very sexy indeed: [$a, $b] = [$b, $a];

To be honest I never really liked the distinction between list() and array().

Using [] for arrays is also consistent with dereferenceing arrays and therefore shouldn't confuse people really.

My first shot at extending the parser to allow [] for list() failed though as both T_LIST and T_ARRAY are used in expr_without_variable. But I'm sure you could find a clever way around this, my knowledge of yacc is still limited :-)

But even without [] for list() I think [] for array() would be nice ;-)

- Chris