Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Christian Schneider wrote:

Ok, a quick head count gave 9 people pro, 6 people con and 3 people I couldn't figure out if they are pro or con (-:C

In case it wasn't clear, I am a -0 on this. I don't mind the syntax, but having two different syntaxes is the big problem here.

That's the way I think, too. It's not really that bad, except there's already a way to define arrays (array()). There's really no point in adding a second way that doesn't really bring any benefits besides slightly shorter syntax, and it's totally unfeasable to remove the array() syntax.

Also, the fact that [] are used for array indexes means it's more confusing when they're also used in a very similar context of defining the actual array.

Marco's example

$a = [1,2,$b[11]];

I think best illustrates this point.

-1 on this.