Andi Gutmans wrote:

At 02:23 PM 11/19/2003 -0500, Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:

> IMHO it should be php_check_syntax() and not
> script_check_syntax() to make clear what it actualy
> checks (it won't check the syntax of my shell, awk
> or perl scripts, would it? ;)

Good idea, we already have some function that utilize php_ prefix, might as
well continue with the trend. How about php_lint() & php_strip()?

I hate the name lint and strip is kind of too short.
Why not keep it long like Hartmut suggested such as php_check_syntax(), php_strip_whitespace()?

Just for consistency, the -l help string says "Syntax check only (lint)" so php_syntax_check() might be less confusing. Also, -w strips more than whitespace...

As I heavy user of both -l and -w I'm looking forward to seeing these functions builtin. That said, I'd prefer php_lint() since I know exactly what 'lint' means. Of course, it doesn't make much difference at this point since I already know what the function will do :)

Hans