I know the valids decision votes will be from the core
developers (wich  I am not). But IŽd like to expose my
suggestion:

 - PHP object oriented parts, like classnames,
methods, atributes, etc could use studlyCaps as almost
whole world use to with OO code.

 - Php procedural parts, like functions, vars,
constants, etc could use underscore as almost the
whole world use to with not OO code.

 Since PHP is a mixed language (procedural and Object
Oriented) It would even help to diferentiate each
paradigm. The way it would be easy to know when a
external module supports OO features for example. And
as Andi said, interfacing with external modules and
interfacing with other technologies are growing up,
and would help if it works like those other
technologies. In the other hand, using underscores
where code is not OO, would make clear to see that you
are using the procedural way.

 Just imagine how complicated will it be if PHP
programmers has to use several OO modules, and some of
them use underscores, PEAR using studlycaps, another
framework using undercores too, and other using
studly, all Object Oriented. What a mess....

 Defining all OO parts of PHP (and recomending it to
external modules) as studlyCaps would follow a
tendency which ALREADY EXISTS and not force all
existant PHP OO code to be rewritten. And would keep
things in order. Easy to manage.

 In the other hand, defining the use of underscores
will break what already exists (about OO Code) and
probably wonŽt be accepted as a consensus. Means that
what I sad above (the messy code) can happen.

 IMO it would the best to do in this situation.