On 2003/12/13, at 9:56, Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:

On December 12, 2003 03:15 pm, Moriyoshi Koizumi wrote:
If we limited the support to UTF-8 or EUC encoding only, we'd be
able to drastically gain much better performance. But it won't
actually solve practical problems where it is in action.

Could iconv stream filters be used to convert various encoding (if needed) to
UTF-8 thus addressing the problem?

Actually it might do, but doing so leads to great overheads, because you have to reconvert the strings to restore the initial form. Besides the conversion is sometimes irreversible. And even it wouldn't make sense unless iconv extension becomes built-in.

Moriyoshi