>> XPath cant be the answer to everything. Although it would work, XPath

> sure.  but it can solve most of the simple problems quite efficiently,
> like getting immediate children.

Out of all the functionality that has been mentioned, that was the one I
would have added :)
imho, that is a very useful function and should not require xpath to be
built in

> Sure, I'm not dissing DOM (well, slightly, but still)...  As I wrote to
> Andi, DOM is evil, but its a necessary evil.

Feel free to dismiss it. That was just an example. Could easily replace that
with compare the speed differenced using direct libxml tree functions with
libxml xpath queries.

> Perhaps.  But that happy medium can be achieved in userspace, or another
> extension.  SimpleXML's utility methods are now nowhere near the type of
> support I'm guessing you want, they are (imho) rather silly replacement
> for basic xpath.

True. I was thinking more along the lines of StandardXML ;)

Rob