At 03:23 PM 1/24/2004 +0000, Stephane Drouard wrote:
Hello Marcus,

== Quote from Marcus Boerger ([EMAIL PROTECTED])'s article
> i had reasons to make that property private. You may use getTrace() to
> read the contents and if you must overwrite it because you want to misuse
> the whole thing then you can overwrite the read access method, too. This
> should be enough, right?

Except if I misunderstood your answer, but getTrace() is final, so I can't overwrite it. This was in fact the idea of my original message, by putting methods final (and most of Exception are) you can't overwrite them, limiting by this fact its use.

A second idea of my original message was to force Exception to be the base class of all exceptions, to allow to write generic code that catches all exceptions (to mimic "finally" clauses).
There were no reactions on that, but according to our exchanges, I assume you would not do that (you're more on proposing things rather than imposing them, right?). So what about implementing a "catch(...)" or a "finally" clause?

You can create your own exception hierarchy.
Anyway, as Marcus mentioned this is not the time to make changes to the exception mechanism (except for bug fixes).
We will see how things go with 5.0.0 and will evaluate extending things as needed. We are at a time now where we have to stabilize things (including exceptions) and not add more problems.

Andi