On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 04:55, Stig S. Bakken wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I think I see what you're saying.  Static class variables are associated
> with the class, if the class persists between requests, so should its
> static variables.

[snip]

> All of these basically keep the parsed representation of code in shared
> memory between requests.  It doesn't give you persistent class statics,
> but at least the request startup is much lower.

Great response, you saved me a lot of typing. :)

To add one thing, I have code that I use to easily persist an object
across a session, additionally it can save the class's static properties
(hacked into PHP4[1]).  With this and my implementation of the singleton
pattern I am able to persist a singleton throughout a session.  It's not
exactly what you are talking about but can be just as useful.
Additionally you can use a database or shared memory to implement global
variables and save objects/static variables/whatever into them.  Of
course, once you have variables available to multiple instances of PHP
you will have to deal with locking issues.

Regards,
Adam

[1] http://adam.bregenzer.net/php/static_class_properties

--