At 03:28 26/02/2004, Derick Rethans wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Marcus Boerger wrote:

> Hello Timm,
>
> well for normal methods we must do that. The derived class must support the
> same signature that the base class supports. In you example that would only
> work if the derived method would have a default parameter for the additional
> parameter:

I think this is only annoying users for nothing... I really don't see a
good reason on why to enforce this.

PHP 5 has grown to depend on the is_a concept as a foundation building block. Allowing people to break is a bad idea, since it makes some of the new features less powerful/reliable. Preventing it now is the right thing to do. E_STRICT may be good for when compat mode's off.

Zeev